Chocolate Mostaccioli Cookies
1-1/2 lbs. Toasted, finely chopped almonds
4-1/2 Cups sugar
1 Cup oil
4 Cups flour
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons cream of tartar
1 Tablespoon baking soda
1 Cup cocoa (unsweetened baking cocoa)
1 Cup sugar
1-1/2 Cups water
2 lbs. Chopped chocolate, or semi-sweet chocolate chips
1-1/2 cups espresso coffee (brewed),(Approximately)
1/2 Cup coffee liquor
- Brew about 1-1/2 cups espresso coffee and let cool.
- In a medium size pot, mix water, cocoa, 1 cup sugar and stir well until thoroughly mixed.
- Add chocolate pieces and place over heat to melt chocolate thoroughly. If mixture is too thick, add a little water and stir until evenly mixed. Let cool to just warm.
- Prepare in a large mixing bowl or on a wooden work board the flour, 4-1/2 cups sugar, almonds, baking soda, cream of tartar, and cinnamon.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and add eggs, vanilla, oil, and coffee liquor.
- Mix all ingredients together including the cooled chocolate mixture and as you work it together with hands, add enough espresso to make a soft, but not a sticky dough.
- Knead dough until well mixed.
- Pinch off enough dough to roll into a log about 1 inch in diameter and 12-15 inches long.
- Flatten a little bit and then cut into diamond shape cookies about 1-1/2 inches to 2 inches long. Place on cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 12 minutes.
- Cookies will be soft to the touch when removed from the pan, but will harden as chocolate cools.
Mix powdered sugar, cocoa, water and a little bit of cinnamon to a spreading consistency. Ice top and sides of cookies. Place on cookie racks to dry. Store in airtight container or freezer. Makes about 200+ cookies.